Q&A with Dickey’s Director of Sales Jerrel Denton
20 Feb 2013
We sat down with Jerrel Denton to ask him a few questions about himself and his vital role at Dickey’s.
- How long have you been with Dickey’s and what made you want to sell barbecue franchises?
- I started at Dickeys in September of 2005. Initially, I worked in construction and design. I quickly realized the huge value that we offer at Dickey’s and wanted to share that opportunity with as many people as possible!
- What qualities do you look for in potential Dickey’s franchise owners?
- I’m impressed by the prospect that wants to be a “hands-on operator” and is a real “people person”. We are passionate about the art of great barbecue but, this is a people business on both sides of the counter. You must be relatable to your employees, a good leader and have a desire to build a relationship with your customers.
- In your opinion, what one thing sets Dickey’s apart from other franchises?
- One of our best features is the lack of any, straight up, competition in the “quick-serve” barbecue segment. Also, most of the great territories are still open and available to new franchisees. Many of the people I have sold franchises have no previous restaurant experience and that is their concern. However, these owners often become our best operators because they just follow our system and our system works.
- What markets would you like to see Dickey’s expand into?
- I’m shooting for Global Domination. Hot areas right now are on the West coast, North Carolina and almost anywhere in the Midwest.
- How many franchises have you sold in your career here at Dickey’s?
- I have sold 114 units for Dickey’s.
- What motivates you about selling Dickey’s franchises?
- I’m motivated by the knowledge that if our new owners work hard in their business and follow our system, they will prosper and in about a year they will give me a call about starting their next location.
- If roles were reversed, would you buy a Dickey’s franchise? Why?
- Yes for all the reasons I have given. It’s a great brand and a supportive system.
- What do you love most about your job?
- I love the fact that I am able to use my experience as a franchisee, to help people get out of dead-end careers and to help them prosper in their own businesses.
- What is your favorite thing on the menu?
- It’s a huge “toss up” between the great pork ribs or the beef brisket!